Tuesday, May 14, 2013

World Belly Dance Day!

I had a blast this weekend with World Belly Dance Day! 12 Houses dancers, as well as many other local dancers, had the opportunity to welcome Saroya of Atlanta to teach workshops last Saturday and Sunday.

Friday night, we had a Hafla, which is a party. We had a costume exchange (I gotta skirt!) and watched dancers do past and current routines. It was fun to see the other dancers show off. There was also a Henna artist who gave me a rat on each hand. It was a fun night.

Saturday was our busy day. In the morning, we flash mobbed a belly dance routine at the CanadInn, which is called "Shimmy Mob" and raises money for CVIC. After that, I had workshops for a few hours with Saroya, Intro to Turkish Style and Zills (finger cymbals). Then, I ended up going to eat with my family before heading home to grab my stuff and get ready for the show.

The show was so much fun, local dancers showed their talents at the Firehall Theater. It was fun to see so many dancers on one stage. The 12 houses dance class, which I am apart of, did the class routine. At the end, we shimmy mobbed again before going home.

Sunday morning was the last workshop, Flashcard choreography  I was sore from doing workshops and tired because I didn't get much sleep, but it was still fun. I said my goodbyes to my dance sisters before going home to rest

I love dance. It's my escape. I meet so many amazing people doing this, I was very happy to see them again this last weekend. I can't wait until the next one! (and Zombiefest!)

No comments:

Post a Comment